Houston (and Texas) IT Jobs Blog

Monday, August 08, 2005

CrispAds Blog Ads

5:02 AM     A Question For The Community

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am working through how best to maintain this Blog and its usefulness to all of you. In doing so, there are some decisions that I need to make and, since they affect you, I thought I'd put the questions to the group.

I appreciate your help in advance.



What I've been doing with the older job postings is just deleting them once I know the jobs are filled or after they've been around long enough to grow mold.


THE DOWNSIDE TO DELETING
-----

The downside to this, to be candid, is that it doesn't "spread the word" to as many IT folks as possible. As most of you probably realize already, that is because the search engines won't have as many results to index to lead people here for their Houston IT Job community.

Another downside is that the contact information for any job could be useful to our community. When, for example, a UNIX Admin sees that a job for a Java Developer has been filled, he can reasonably assume that there is a good chance that this a not a Microsoft standards shop and, hence, are probably on some version of UNIX (this is what I like to call "complementary job seeking").

He can then send his resume to the resume contact, explain (briefly!) his logic, and shoot off the resume. It can't hurt and, frankly, the novelty of something thinking things through and having a brain may impress the person on the other end. They may not have a job, but they might know someone who does or will remember him when they do have a job.


WHY I STARTED THINKING ABOUT THIS
-----

My premise (and let me know if I'm full of it here) is that the more people we have in the community, the more job leads, information on the jobs themselves, help sources, and general job-seeking help that we all have available to us.

That being said, I'd like to keep around some of the older postings so that more people can find us. Here's are my difficulties, however:

1) I can't remove postings from the main page on a case-by-case basis. Hence, the job listings that are filled can't just be pulled from the main page and kept in the archives.

2) I also can't remove items on a case-by-case basis from the "Last 10 Jobs Posted" area.

3) Without some agreed-upon, obvious, and non-cluttering way of labeling jobs that are filled, it becomes a little unwieldy.

What I would propose is to make the first line of any filled job posting some thing like "--- JOB FILLED / NO LONGER AVAILABLE ---" That way, it's obvious that there is no longer a need.


I NEED THE COMMUNITY INPUT ON THIS ONE
-----

Click on the "Post a Comment" link below and tell me what you think. Do it anonymously if you're a coward, I don't mind... ;-) Just let me know and we can proceed that way.

Dan

click to send to a friend ---> 

1 Comments:

  • What would really be nice is a complete directory of Houston Tech companies including their internal IT needs/wants.

    Think of a wiki based system that people could evolve over time.

    How would one harvest this type of information?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Hit Counter
Earthlink DSL Service